Saturday, August 21, 2010

Squash

We've been gifted with several squashes from a coworker of Jon's who brought in a bunch for whoever wanted them. (Yup, it's August again.)

The 3 round yellow ones below are sunburst squash (apparantly related to scallop squash), and I guess the long yellow one is some sort of summer squash? You can't tell in this picture (bad lighting in the kitchen!), but it's got lots of little bumpies on it, and the sunbursts are over 2lbs apiece. The white scallop squash actually came from our own garden. I don't want this to sound like I'm not thrilled to have fresh, local produce; I'm just not really sure what to do with these varieties.

There was a 4th sunburst squash and a zucchini that I've already cooked. Any suggestions with what to do with the rest? (Aside from eating it every night for the next 2 weeks that is.) I made zucchini bread already - maybe I could make sunburst squash bread? I've also frozen shredded squash in the past to use for future recipes, so maybe I'll do that with some of it. Our squash benefactor said that they have grilled the squash. Is anyone else having an abundance of squashes right now? Or has the Texas heat killed off everything? =)

And, in case you just dropped by to see Jack, rather than hear my squash dissertation, here he is. This was taken on his 6 month birthday - the now-traditional monkey picture. (And yes, that's my current favorite Jack outfit, in case you've noticed it a lot in pictures.)

Jack rolled over once a couple of days ago (belly to back), but hasn't repeated it. Last night, he started holding and playing with his rattle. And he likes to stand (and support most of his weight) on a lap.

No comments: