Thursday, March 13, 2008

Breakfast for dinner, Tex-Mex style!

Ever since Kyle's mom made us yummy breakfast tacos in Austin last Saturday (has it only been 5 days??), I've been totally craving them. The only catch though - they're only super-yummy with fresh tortillas. Fresh tortillas...like the ones that were made in our neighborhood HEB grocery store in Bryan, TX...the ones that I took for granted back then but have been unable to find here in Denver. I came home early from work today (the cats had their dentals today - but that's another post), so I decided to make some calls. It turns out that you can buy fresh, homemade tortillas from On The Border. So I placed an order for 8 (they come in increments of 4), and drove out there to pick them up. Imagine my surprise when they hand me a huge bag, and say apologetically (it seemed) that all the tortilla orders come with chips and salsa! So I got 8 yummy fresh tortillas, a big bag of chips and 2 things of salsa all for $1.58!!! Considering that a thing of 8 factory-boring tortillas from the store is usually about $2 here, I was way excited!!
Jon took over the cooking, and we had breakfast tacos for dinner: tortillas, scrambled eggs, crumbled bacon and spicy sausage, green onions, salsa, and shredded cheese for Jon. Oh, and a few sunflower seeds for me. Yeah, I don't really know why....in college I occasionally had eggs with salsa and sunflower seeds for breakfast and apparantly the habit stuck! (They do add a nice crunch though!) So, my Tex-Mex cravings are satisfied for another few days.... =)

No comments: